+1

I have been working with general purpose computers since the mid 70s and made a pretty good career out of it until I retired 10 years ago. I don't do facebook because it violates my computer security rules and I strongly disagree with facebook's data-mining business model.

In my view, the reason email, BBs, and forums like this one seem to be out of favor is that general purpose computers are becoming dinosaurs in favor of mainstream ipads and smart phones. Last year I upgraded my 10-year-old desktop computer and discovered new components are becoming difficult to find. This may be the last time I can upgrade it, since I suspect in 10 years, the desktop computer will not be available. That gives me a warm fuzzy, but then in 10 years I may not care.

The way I see it, if someone only allows responses from me via facebook and/or twitter, then they don't get a response, which effectively self-limits their help.

Girvin Herr