Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2014 Archives by date, by thread · List index

The last time I worked with LO indexes, I was trying to make an alphabetic sort of the table of contents (heading styles), which did not work. So, I am not all that experienced with indexes. I find them a bit of a pain to create. However, the paper size problem you mentioned may be just a matter of changing the Index entry paragraph style(s). You might try that to bring your margins in.
Girvin Herr

On 01/25/2014 11:26 AM, CVAlkan wrote:
I know the table of contents feature seems to work well, as I've used it
quite a bit in the past.
But creating an alphabetical index (a first for me, at least using Writer)
seems to have a number of rather annoying features. I've provided an
experiment you can do at the end, but first let me discuss the issues.

1) When creating an alphabetical index, the Columns feature works as
use columns on a 6" x 9" page, Writer still seems to assume a "standard"
paper size and doesn't seem to know that I'm using a 6" x 9" page. Thus no
matter how I try to tweak the setup, the right column is almost completely
off the page on the right. So I can't use columns for the Index - Bummer,
but not the end of the world.

2) If I go through and highlight each entry that I want indexed, everything
works great (so far as I can tell), and I have the options for "match case"
and "whole words only." But in a long document, using a concordance file
certainly seems to make more sense, and it SEEMS TO WORK, but it actually

   Issue a) No matter what boxes are checked, Writer goes and marks ALL
instances of whatever the concordance entry has: regardless of whether or
not it is a whole word or whether the capitalization matches.

   Issue b) If you add another entry to the concordance file and "Update
Index/Table," all instances (even incorrect ones) of the new entry are
indeed marked within the file and added to the index, but every earlier
entry GETS AN ADDITIONAL marker. As I modify the concordance file to add new
items and update the index, I find that the earliest entries have as many
markers as the number of updates I've done.

Here's an experiment you can do:

Open a new document using whatever standard size is in effect.
At the top of the document, type dt and press F3. This generates the dummy
In a separate text editor create a concordance file with the following


Back in the document, create a new index at the bottom of the page, and mark
"Case Sensitive." Then choose the concordance file created above.

You'll see that the words "himself" and "along" are marked in the document
and included in the index as "Self" and "Long", even though these words
never appear in the text. Now add the following entry to the concordance


Find it? It actually marked the last three letters of the word "sweat" which
doesn't match the case.

In a three hundred plus page document with a surname index this tends to
make the index pretty useless, since it's cluttered with erroneous entries
which will drive you nuts looking on a referenced page to find something
that just isn't there.

Sadly, I've obviously done that, which brings up another issue:

How do I get rid of the index markers? Going through one by one is far too
tedious. I recall that the alternate search and replace had a selection for
"index" under properties, but the I downloaded that and the latest version
seems to have a serious bug which doesn't let you get to a specific entry on
the drop down list for "properties" so that's out. And I don't know if that
would be what I need anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

View this message in context:
Sent from the Users mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.