On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 03:32:47PM +0400, None None wrote:

Normally I don't reply to such blatant FUD but I have a lot of free time
today and I'm bored.

Hello, my name is Alexander , at the moment I am a programmer in OGAOU SPO " Belgorod College of
industry and services " , country: Russia , city of Belgorod.

I want to introduce into commercial operation institution package LibreOffice as an alternative
package of MS Office, in order to move to the format ODF, which in our country is a national
fixed state standard ( ISO / IEC 26300-2010 . Came into force on June 1, 2011 ) . However ,
implementation of this project gives me concerns about the advisability of this step for the
following reasons :

What does your country's implementation of ODF have to do with open
source software?

I know in many business organizations and educational institutions was an attempt to introduce
LibreOffice and OpenOffice, but they all failed. Even where people were friendly to the use of
these products later returned to the MS Office package due to the low quality software
LibreOffice and OpenOffice ( because of the continuing occurrence of bugs and endless
expectations of new releases in which errors have not been corrected ), the appearance artifacts
for viewing and printing of documents created in MS Office and other non- ODF (Open Document
Format). In general, the situation is that there is a standard but actually exists only on paper
, in addition to MS Office 2013 support is implemented ODF, which makes it even more attractive
to use.

The above is a symptom of lazy or incompetent IT departments that don't
or can't learn to use the software.

In my opinion , free software does not justify its poor quality. Many IT professionals and PC
users have an opinion about LibreOffice and OpenOffice as a " shitty " software, which can not be
used in the workplace.

You're right, that's *your* opinion.

How do you account for the fact that open source software is in worldwide use every day in
production environments. Just few of the many cites:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/open-source-what-you-should-learn-french-461
http://opensource.com/government/12/11/france-latest-fully-embrace-open-source
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-272299.html

In contrast to system administrators trying to implement packages LibreOffice or OpenOffice, I am
a professional programmer and familiar with the process of software development. In my opinion
the industrial application package LibreOffice is possible, but subject to personal contact with
the immediate developers package their interest in creating a quality product and responsiveness
to the comments , suggestions for improvement and immediate response on the error of the package
, as well as providing operational fixes without having to wait for the official release. I
believe that developers care about their product and frankly, I know that in the case to contact
technical support patches can wait for years

That's a feature of some closed source software, notably Microsoft. You
can email them with your concerns until you're blue in the face and they
will produce an update months later if then. Open source developers will
cure problems usually in a few days.

and a direct appeal to the developer can take it to cure is not more than 15 minutes .

You must think that developers have nothing to do but wait for you to
contact them. They're not on your payroll. 15 minutes is laughable
except for isolated instances, not in general. Also, as a programmer, as
you claim to be, you should know a 15 minute fix to a problem can
introduce more bugs than it cures.

My idea is to introduce a distinctive package LibreOffice is in close interaction directly with
the developers and their interest in this cooperation .

What in the hell does the above sentence mean?

As a result of successful implementation , the package will have the right to life

What does "the right to life" mean?

and begin to be implemented in other educational institutions of Russia ( as exists between
educational institutions experience exchange program , usually a methodological associations ) ,
as well information about the successful implementation of the same will go to the Ministry of
Education of the Russian Federation and respectively wave on other ministries. This collaboration
will raise the quality of software , as it will be used in the work (in the " battle" conditions
and not on the bench) .

Waiting for your reply on this proposal and look forward to working ...

Don't hold your breath waiting.

What tells me you're a troll is the fact that you don't know what you're
talking about. If you actually are a programmer you would know better.
Also you're using a broken mailer that puts long passages on one line
and makes inline replies very difficult.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped