Hi Gary,

I might be missing the obvious, but could you elaborate a little...

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 14:01:34 -0800
Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

      I have a simple equsion that I want to put INSIDE a square.
can any libreoffice wizards clue me in?
What do you mean by "inside a square"? Are you using Calc, and you mean
inside a cell? Do you mean you want to insert the formula into a
Writer document inside a square box? Or are you referring to something
else?

      and you guys can imaging what that outputs. )
Do you want the formula itself, or the result of the formula as applied
to some values?

      How, then, do I get libreoffice|formula to create a
I actually hadn't used LO Formula until now :)
But as far as I can see (and I may be wrong here, I'm sure others will
correct me if I am), Formula is just for creating formulas, so you can't
put a box around them (assuming that's what you want to do). That's a
design element, and would need to be done in, say, Writer. I did it
quite easily, from Writer, by saying "Insert | Object | Formula", then
typing in the formula, then clicking outside the formula to exit
Formula edit mode, then select the formula, right click, and select
"Object". From there, select the "Borders" tab, and add your borders as
desired to create a box.

      medium-thickness "square" that I can save as, say,
"Integraly.pdf".
Why would you want to save a formula as a pdf? Surely what you really
want is not to save the formula per se, but either a document with the
formula in it, or a formatted box containing the formula that you could
then use elsewhere? You would then need the approach I used above to
create the formatted formula in a document, with any accompanying
text, and save that.

Incidentally, have you looked at latex? It is also excellent for this
sort of thing, although it has a bit of a learning curve. The LyX
editor may make things easier; it at least has a good tutorial.

Paul