On 11/18/2013 06:57 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
James didn't get quite far enough.  It's a page or so further on.  The
way page is set-up it does look as though you do HAVE TO make a
donation before the download will start.  It's only the geeks that
will notice their own web-browser is the only thing blocking the
download from really starting.

The marketing team did discuss this and various other options but the
technology is not quite their yet to allow the whole thing to be more
polite and less demanding.  After a lot of discussion they finally
settled on doing the same as other projects, such as Ubuntu and many
others.

It's irritating as hell. It makes LO look as if a donation is required
(even though it says otherwise) and IMO is a bit of an embarrassment
when referring LO to others. Several have commented & were sure to
mention that AOO doesn't require this nonsense.

I just spent 10 minutes figuring out how to bypass this nonsense in
order to download a 205MB "update" for a remote user at limited
bandwidth. The default download link was downloading at 45Kbps...
Finally remembered the mirrors:
<http://download.documentfoundation.org/mirmon/allmirrors.html> and only
then was I actually able to get a reasonably speed download connection.