On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:54:54 -0600
Denis Navas Vega <denis.navas@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul,

Make this test.

1. Open a new worksheet.  Format some cells, say from A5:A10 as text.
Write some numbers on those cells.
Ok

2. Copy those cells to other column, say to C5:C10 and format as
number (format @).
The '@' format is text, so I'm not sure what you want me to do, format
as text, or format as number?

You will see that the cells now shows an ' before the numbers.
Yes, if I format as number, this is correct.

3. Write a formula in other cell, multiplying with 1, for instance,
E5=C5*1
Ok

Now check the cell and you will discover that you have a number.
True enough, when I copy these cells, and paste special, pasting only
text and numbers, not formulas or all, then I get numbers in the cells.

Therefore, those numbers with ', that in reallity are text, can be
multiplied by 1, to transform it to a number.
As Brain explained to me, an implicit VALUE() must be done on the text
when multiplying by 1.

As a side note, I was not able to use the method of copy -- paste
multiplying by one.
How do you mean? When is the multiply done? If I copy the numbers from
the cells with the formulas it works fine.

So now I'm confused, if this *does* work, why was Ady complaining
about it not working?

--

Well, the procedure I mentioned involves copying one cell only, which
means it is a faster method, as oppose to having to copy perhaps a

I repeat the procedure that I posted before (which works correctly in
other spreadsheet tools):

1_ In an auxiliary non-formatted cell, insert the number 1.
2_ Copy that auxiliary cell.
3_ Select the cells with numbers that are currently formatted as
'text' that you want to convert.
4_ Paste special (all), multiply.
5_ Delete the auxiliary cell.

If the desired format is not just a 'general' number, you could
optionally format the auxiliary cell before copying it.

Although the "Tools -> Text to Columns..." method in Calc is nice,
the procedure I am describing is more flexible. Unfortunately, it
currently doesn't work in LibreOffice Calc 4.1.3.2.

Regards,
Ady.