On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 23:29:01 PM +0200, Paul wrote:

Also, I don't think the current situation could have been any better,
no matter what argument we used. The fact that it is changing at all is
testimony to our dedication in spreading all the good arguments for Open
Source and ODF. This is, sad to say, the best we could hope for given
how entrenched MSO was.

After following this topic for (at least) 12 years, I would say this
is the best we could hope for, given how entrenched MSO was, and how
much the FOSS community in general underestimated the need to promote
formats and standard instead of, or before, software.

And 12 years ago ODF wasn't around, as far as I know. It was only
standardised in 2005. So before that the usual "open source gives you
choice" argument was all there was.

Of course ODF as such did not exist in 2001, but the basic argument
(push common, open formats before software, ) has been valid and
usable since well before 2001. For the reasons I wrote in the first 2
points here http://digifreedom.net/node/56.html

and in
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-fix-configuration-anarchy-on-the-linux-desktop/2708/

So given how much the argument for the odf format *is* actually
touted today (it's possibly even the main argument people give for
switching to LO), why do you suggest we should do more of it

because cases like that of that translator happen all too often. I
would also like to know for what subset of "people" you think the
format is the main argument for switching. In the world I live in, 90%
of people who use computers can't even explain correctly what a file
format is.

and how exactly do you suggest we do that?

Exactly as I wrote twelve years ago and repeated in today's post, of
course.

Marco