I've been trying hard to avoid this conversation as it's probably the 1000th time I've seen something similar on the user list but coming from a developer/QA perspective, I think I can say something brief. The possible gains for these "power users" would probably be small and the amount of time to developer a true 64 bit version (on top of these requests to support 8 cores or whatever else that's requested) would be IMMENSE. We're talking about tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of developer and QA time. If you have a spreadsheet that is running that miserably I would recommend that any of these "power users" investigate if they are using spreadsheet correctly (vs. masking a database within spreadsheet, which is incorrect and in which case they should be learning how to use Database). I do have a few spreadsheets that are 40ish megs with quite a few charts and lots of formulas, but even these I could likely convert to a database if I took the time and probably see some gains in performance - but even these run "fast enough" and I would never ask developers to waste their time for these outlier cases of having insane spreadsheets.

At my old work my employer had made a 1 GB Spreadsheet and always complained about Excel's limitations - at which point I would quickly point out "no, although I'd love to pin this on Microsoft, this is in fact bad implementation on your part." I don't know the details of any of these Spreadsheets but from what I've seen in the past, these statements have rung true in most cases.

No offense at all, I encourage open conversation but I tend to see a one side conversation "THERE SHOULD BE A 64 BIT FLYING LIBREOFFICE THAT CAN BAKE ME A CAKE AND CALCULATE A QUADRILLION FORMULAS IN 0.0000001 SECONDS USING ALL 16 OF MY CORES!" - without the other side of the equation - "such a product would be incredibly costly and there are thousands of much more important things to get done that will benefit a lot more users."

All the best,
Joel