On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:57:36 -0600
Ken Springer <snowshed1@q.com> wrote:

Is that Picture dialogue box supposed to set the properties of the
image?  If so, then when you exit the dialogue box, that's one
"property" that is not retained.
"Keep ratio" isn't a property of an image.

Certainly not intuitive IMO.  If you check a box that says "Keep
ratio" or similar, logically it should do that when the box is
closed.  And, if it's checked, only the corner handles should display
and be selectable.
I guess it would also make sense for it to work that way (and then
the ratio would be a property of the image), and if all software did it
that way it would be intuitive, but as software doesn't (in my
experience), and instead does it the way LO does it, that makes the LO
way intuitive for me.

I've used old software in the past that did that, probably DTP or a
graphics program like Corel Draw.  But I can't remember any current
software that has one way of operating in a dialogue, and another in
the document/graphic/frame/whatever.
I'm fairly sure the MS products do it this way too, but I don't have
any lying around to check with. I could check with Gimp, Scribus and
others, but as they are all open source, they are more likely to follow
the same principles. Ideally one should check against as disparate a
set of products as possible. My feeling is they all work the same way,
but I could be wrong.

Paul