On 10/15/13 5:30 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
On 10/14/2013 09:58 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 10/14/13 6:01 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 10/14/13 3:37 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:
Ken Springer wrote:
On 10/14/13 12:46 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
On 10/14/2013 12:44 PM, Gabriel Risterucci wrote:
2013/10/14 Ken Springer <snowshed1@q.com>

<snip>

Not sure if it's the same one, but I've found this handy for finding
Unicode characters:
      http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/

It doesn't show the whole range in one table, as that would be quite
some table, but you can view a whole block at once. Not all fonts
contain all Unicode characters, so you may find that some of the more
esoteric characters don't display properly or at all.

That's not the page I was writing about, but I've bookmarked it.
Thanks.

I found the page I was looking for, http://unicode.org/charts/.  That
page made me realize I've got to learn more about today's font files.
If you check one of there fonts, say this one,
http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf, that's the type of simple
chart I'm looking for, except for one missing item.  For character
0002 which is the space, I'd like the word "space" to be associated
with the character in the chart.  That tells me what the character is
called in plain English, i.e. "space", "em square", "decimal sign",
etc.  Then it should be easier to check the font I wish to use to see
if it contains the extended characters/ligatures/etc. I need/want to use.

I used to really be into typography, but it was in the ASCII days,
around the Windows for Workgroups time.

Good
There are some really good fonts out there, especially novelty and
specialty fonts.

I have a "large" collection of these fonts, plus a full set of Adobe
fonts [TrueType and OpenType]

When I do a "properties" on my non-Adobe font folders I get:
199,966 items in 13.4 GB

My Adobe font folder of the collection from pre-2009
5129 items in 336.8 MB - with only 519 as TrueType fonts

I don't have that many fonts, not even close. But the ones I do have are not the modern Unicode fonts.

There are a lot of calligraphy fonts that has special "glyphs" that
contain special combinations of letters and/or swirls that calligraphy
style of writing is "famous" for.

My current plans won't require any specialty fonts, except possibly for title pages and the like. My uses will involve mostly items to be read. I want them to easily read by the average/normal (if there is such a thing) user/reader.

To be honest, there are fonts for your every need, and a great many of
them are for free.

I don't think, at this time, I'll be doing anything that would warrant purchasing of a font.

I currently have over 600 fonts installed [that contain over 900
different fonts and their included styles] on my Ubuntu desktop
computer.  My laptops contain a little less installed fonts.

You will be amazed what you can do with these modern fonts in Writer or
a graphics package.  I produce a lot of signs, posters, and invitations,
with Writer and packages like Inkscape and Corel Draw.  The types of
calligraphy fonts [and the alternative/extra glyph fonts] make really
beautiful items/documents for people.

Of course, if you are going to deal with glyphs from different languages
[using non-Latin letters], there are a great number of fonts dedicated
for those languages, so you do not need to use their language glyphs in
a Unicode font, like Arial.  Arial Unicode seems to have the most
letters and glyphs, of any of the Unicode fonts I know about.

I doubt I'll be using anything but "Murican" English.   LOL

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0