Hi :)
I thought the whole point of tabloid paper was that it was the cheapest
around and thus the publishers could print more runs more often and even charge less but still make
a decent profit.  Surely the famous
"stack'em high, sell'em cheap" comes from the ability of tabloids to
undercut the more serious newspapers.  Everything else is better
quality, even toilet paper (actually my granny could sometimes make the
sunday papers last all week this way).  The sheets were so porous that
they were also a firm favourite for wrapping fish&chips in for the
walk back from the chippie (preferably not the same bit of paper as was
used for the other use).  Then that was banned because the print was smudge off the page and while
that added to the flavour (again the 2nd use rather than the 1st) is was discovered to be a little
bit toxic.  So i thought we were trying to put the tabloid paper behind us and upgrade.

It's interesting to hear that tabloid paper is now considered more official and desirable for
printing news!
Regards from
Tom :)