Comment in-line

On 09/06/2013 12:14 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
It's fine posting to the Users List to start with.  We might be able to deal with issues directly
and if not then we can signpost you to more appropriate places.

I'm not sure why "OfficeSecurity" is involved so they might be dropped from subsequent replies.

Base forms and reports 'should' be written in Writer or Calc rather than in Base itself shouldn't
they?  That would protect users from seeing the Base interface and just present normal users with
the familiar interface they get in Writer or Calc.
Base forms are created using Writer, but they are *not* the same thing as X-Forms. The purpose of forms in Base is to enter data into the tables of the database. This is not a purpose that X-Forms in Writer nor anything in Calc can provide.

--Dan
With macros i think the problem is that MS uses a different language for macros and their macros
keep being used as an attack vector for malware.  So, all sorts of ways have had to be built to
prevent  macros from executing whenever they want.

Sadly, LibreOffice uses a different version of Basic that doesn't seem to have  had security issues "out
in the wild" (afaik).  A
  couple of times people have been urged to upgrade to new branches to
avoid known issues that were fixed in the newer branch but that was almost entirely preventative
rather than reactive.  I think LibreOffice even allows a few other languages to be used, such as
Python.

So, if people write macros using the language(s) that  LibreOffice uses then presumably those
macros don't have to be imported/converted?

Sorry i don't know any of this from 1st hand experience but just have my opinions built-up from the
many posts on the Users List about these topics so i could easily have misunderstood things.
Regards from
Tom :)