On 08/22/2013 09:03 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Oddly enough we recently had a thread about ePub and generally found it quite difficult so you might be able to help other people straight away! I think we did manage to find out 1 way of doing it using eLaix or something.

I saw that thread...long and intimidating! lol.

Personally, I keep it very simple: I copy the document (cut & paste or type) into LO Writer. I only use the following paragraph styles 'Default' or 'Text Body' and Heading 1, 2, 3 for chapter headings. Occasionally, I'll use a quotation style as required. All edits are done in a fixed-width font for readability and editing (I prefer Courier Prime).

Footnotes are always end of chapter if I use sections and a master document, or end of document (which is easier to manage, IMO, since I don't have to mess with a master document. Some long and complex books with lots of footnotes get the master document treatment, with each chapter having its own section.

When finished with the input and review, I change Default Paragraph, Text Body, and Heading fonts to 'Times New Roman'. I don't use the writer to epub plugin...since I've had bad luck with it. Instead, I use Calibre to convert from .odt to .epub. The good thing about Calibre, is I can keep the .odt file IN the calibre library for edits later on (if I find an error, etc), and just convert it to epub again as required. Very simple.