Hi David,

Am 21.08.2013 06:42, schrieb David Love:

6. after every SECOND field enter "next record" switch (Insert > field >
others > database > next record) but NOT after the fourth ticket (as a
page break always triggers a next record switch)

This is where I've gone wrong and I cannot figure out how.  As I understood
it, on the stub and ticket of tickets number 2, 3, 4, I do what you suggest
above.  Is that correct?

Not quite.

If - as I understand your description - you have the following design:

+-------+-------------------+
|       :                   |
| stub1 :     ticket1       |
|       :                   |
+-------+-------------------+
|       :                   |
| stub2 :     ticket2       |
|       :                   |
+-------+-------------------+
|       :                   |
| stub3 :     ticket3       |
|       :                   |
+-------+-------------------+
|       :                   |
| stub4 :     ticket4       |
|       :                   |
+-------+-------------------+

and you put your ticket number fields sequentially from top left to
bottom right, i.e. first into stub1, then into ticket1, then stub2, then
ticket2, and so on, then the first "Next Record" field has to be put
after the number field in ticket1, but before the number field in stub2,
the second one after ticket2/before stub3, and so on. So number fields
in tickets 1, 2, and 3 should be followed by a Next Record field, while
in ticket 4 it should not.

At least that's how it works for me.

and then, as it will be a new page, the numbering will continue in sequence
until we reach the end of the records.  Is that correct

Yes - it's sufficient to design just one page, the following pages
should be created automatically the same way if data are left over after
the first page has been printed.

7. Print as mailmerge (or form letter or whatever it's called) into 1
document

I do this by Printing to file.  The first ticket is correct.  Tickets number
2, 3 and 4 are not numbered.  It then goes to the next page where the first
ticket is numbered 2 and the other three are not numbered.  And so it goes
on until the end of the records.  Each page is the next number.

then the "Next Record" fields seem to not work, see below.

I notice that when I have Next Record highlighted and click Insert, all that
happens is a thin grey vertical line appears where I click.  I would have
thought the words <next record> would have appeared.  Am I wrong?

By default, these fields are just rendered as those thin lines. To make
full field names visible, you must press Strg+F9 (or toggle "View >
Field Names"). When done, the fields should look something like "Next
record:FileName.TableName" (where FileName and TableName are the file
and table name you chose in steps 1-3). Here is where you can control if
there are any errors. It's a bit boresom as subsequent fields do not
have any space or delimiter in between, so if you by mistake inserted
multiple fields, it will look a bit confusing. But you can simply delete
a field, then you will know where it had started and ended :-)

Note that the field name must contain the correct database and table
names to work properly. If it does not, delete it and insert it anew.
Take care to have the correct data source open (I always leave it open
in the F4 subwindow during the whole procedure).

8. review the document and if necessary correct&repeat some of the above
steps

I am at a loss as to what I should do next.

After making field names visible as described above, you should
understand how it works.

9. print the merged documents,

10. enter perforation (I use a sewing machine, works perfectly if you use
a thin needle and adjust the step width appropriately)

11. cut tickets apart :-)

Enjoy learning ;-)

My enjoyment is leading to "grinding of teeth in frustration"

You've almost reached the goal, there's only one small step left.
Now don't give up, this will not help reducing frustration.
Only if you succeed, you will get satisfaction ;-)

What reminds me to ask you, which version of LibreOffice you are using
and on which Operating System - just to exclude that you use a buggy
version.

Regards,
Nino