On 8/18/2013 4:01 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 18/08/2013 at 23:51, Mike McCallister <workingwriter@prodigy.net> wrote:

Really? You want to be able to write a 20-page PARAGRAPH? I'm not sure
even James Joyce would have been up to that task. Now show me the person
who's going to read it!
I heard that in some countries it is actually legal requirement that
stenography from court case is to be written without any paragraph breaks.
And even if this is not true, there is no point in turning limitation into
strength. LO Writer does not allow paragraphs longer than certain size,
period. If this limitation has been discovered, there was someone that
actually needed longer paragraphs for whatever reason.

I think custom language might be somehow valid point, too. Maybe not entire
language, but definitely wordbook. If you write a novel, you don't want you
character names to be underlined by spell checker. But when you write article
to local newspaper, you want the same words to be marked as mistakes.
So there is need for different wordbooks and ability to disable them on the fly.
I am not sure how LO handle that.

I wouldn't dare to create index in Writer, but then this is yet another
limitation. Some people care about it.

So far, Urmas has some valid points. There are things that MS Office can do, but
which LO can't. They might be corner cases, they might seem unrealistic, but
someone somewhere might need them sometime. We should acknowledge them as
limitations, because that's what they are. After all, no software is perfect.

      What are the requirements to become an LO developer?

I don't know about LO, but with R (www.r-project.org), anyone can contribute a package to enhance the basic language. If you want to change a feature of the core language, you need to work with the core developers, convince at least one of them that your proposed change would be an enhancement, and that it's worth that person's time to implement it. The latter can be facilitated by providing working code that passes all the standard checks.

      Spencer Graves
I am not sure about "Normal view", because I do not understand what it is
supposed to do and whether there is equivalent function in LO.