At 15:22 17/08/2013 -0400, Tim Lungstrom wrote:
In Thunderbird's Preferences, you can choose what font the text of your email will be displayed in. By default, it seems it is "Times New Roman", but I now use "DejaVu Serif".

This is very confused. What do you mean by "your email": presumably messages you *receive* - other people's messages, that is? Yes, exactly so - so their authors *don't* get to say how their messages appear to you.

I then get to choose what font the email is written in, with the current default as "Times". I just chose "DejaVu Serif" for the font of this text that I have typed here.

You think you are choosing the font in which your correspondents will see your messages. But you have just contradicted that above, by saying (correctly) that as a recipient you can overrule such formatting choices.

So, you can decide which font you wish to display any text that does not have a font identifier built in, ...

(You are now talking received messages again, right?) Correct - but also even if the text was formatted, in fact. In the case of this mailing list, for example, only the plain text version of what you send is distributed, so your formatting is lost before your text reaches anyone.

... and you can define the font of the text you are sending in your email, more than one if you choose.

You can try, but you'll generally fail - for reasons including the one you give yourself.

Brian Barker