Hi to all in the community,

I've been reading emails from a number of users who have been having difficulties with Libre Office
on a variety of operating systems.

I'd like to report a success story.

I have managed to set up Ubuntu in a virtual space on a rooted Samsung galaxy tab 2,  10.1" running
android 4.0.2 and using android VNC to access the Ubuntu GUI.
On the Ubuntu OS I'm running Libre Office 3.5.2.2.
This is the first time I've been able to get a fully featured office suite running on any android
tablet.
The results are fantastic .... Beyond my wildest hopes.

The speed on loading Libre Office is a little slow but once it is loaded, opening, creating and
editing documents is almost as good as on my core I7 windows 64 machine
I am now able to go to meetings in any of our company's offices and open, create and edit all types
of office documents and all I have to take with me is a 10.1"  tablet
(I also have a Samsung purpose built keyboard - docking station that tends to make things easy but
it's the performance of Libre Office that I'm most impressed with.

While this method of running linux / Libre Office on tablets may not be the most perfect method, it
does give pointers to how developers could upgrade existing systems to run on modern tablet devices
without spending too much time and thought on creating new GUI's etc. when what we have is already
working. I suspect that many developers are afraid of using methods for pointing and user input
devices that have been developed over many years on new touch screens and think that completely new
interfaces MUST be developed.
Also there is no need to cut out functionality or change tool bars etc. These devices can handle
the existing applications with all their features.

With touch screens we should not try to over complicate things.

Multi touch with zoom and tilt and scroll are fine and should not introduce too many new problems
but with single touch actions just stick to the simple:-
                1 touch = left click
                Double touch = double click
                Touch and hold = left click
                Touch and drag  = Left click and drag.

At least that's my experience and thoughts

Food for thought ------ perhaps,

Kind Regards to everyone in the community,

Bruce Carlson
Business Systems Development Manager / IT Projects Manager

Website: www.nepean.com<http://www.nepean.com>