At 16:41 04/06/2013 -0700, Spencer Graves wrote:
When I copy a date from one LO spreadsheet to another, it changes.

Much as you might be surprised by this, it is, I think, by design.

Specifically, I have *.ods files DateProblem2add.ods and DateProblemMerge.ods. The first contains only 2013-05-30 in cell A1. The second contains only 2012-12-9 in cell A1. I copy the first date into cell A3 of the second file, where it appears 2009-05-29 -- four years and one day before the date I thought I was copying -- which is what I see in that cell in the attached DateProblemMerge.ods. This is using LO 4.0.3.3 under Windows 7.

Dates and times in a spreadsheet are stored internally as days and fractions of a day from a selected origin. Displayed values such as your "2013-05-30" are merely the result of cell formatting. If you go to Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Calc | Calculate | Date, you will see that there are three date origins to choose from. If you copy dates between spreadsheets, the underlying numbers are copied. If the date origins are different for your two spreadsheets, the copied values will be interpreted and displayed as different dates.

You will notice that two of the date origin choices are four years and two days apart. Er, that's indeed four years and one day if you allow for Microsoft Excel's false belief that 1900 was a leap year.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker