Unless I miss something, the answer here is trivial.

Due to the byzantine interactions twixt LO and/Curtains 7/, I am no longer allowed to have LO, of any version,
operational on this machine.

BUT with OO 3.3.0, the File-Open command, however reached, brings up the usual window listing of filenames. Simply clicking on the column heading "Name" sorts the listing A-Z, &c. Clicking again reverses the sort order.
Continued clicking alternates twixt A-Z and Z-A sorts.

In order words, the OO directory listing presented under "Open" behaves just like any other directory listing, and
though I can't test it, I believe that LO works the same way.

Jumper46 didn't specify an OS; perhaps a non-Curtains OS behaves differently.

trj