I have had this problem for quite some time now (months if not years)
in LibreOffice and OpenOffice. The problems are maybe a little bit
worse in LibreOffice, but I didn't exactly measure it…

It looks like a graphics card problem, but why are nothing else
affected? It only happens to OpenOffice and LibreOffice. I tested a
few versions and it seems to not matter. The screenshots are taken
with Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 and I saw the same thing in LibreOffice
3.5, 3.6 and 4.0. I think this also happened with earlier LibreOffice
versions, like 3.4 and 3.3. I didn't use OpenOffice since 3.2 (except
3.4.1, which I use these days), and I don't even remember what it
looked like.

Here's a screenshot with Apache OpenOffice Calc 3.4.1. I added some
arrows pointing at the problem areas:
http://ubuntuone.com/0wvqcaN38PC5835t4uJVPv

The worst thing is when I try to use the Basic IDE, take a look at
this. Very hard to write and edit code when it looks like this:
http://ubuntuone.com/4HRPQMpblZT97UxHq5ggzO

My operating system is Ubuntu 12.04 and the more stuff I run at the
same time, the worse will it look.

My graphics card is the nVidia GeForce Go 7300, which is blacklisted
for use with the Unity 3D desktop, so that may be what's causing this
problem, but still it ONLY happens to LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

One thought that I have is that LibreOffice and OpenOffice are not GTK
applications (I think – are they?), but on the other hand, neither is
my web browser (Opera), and I don't have these problems with it.

Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org were installed with the official
deb files. The LibreOffice version that came with Ubuntu 12.04 was
carefully removed before installing what I have now.

Thoughts? Anyone else saw this?

Packard Bell Easy Note MX66 laptop, made in November 2006.
2.0 GiB RAM, Genuine Intel® CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz × 2.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 bits)
Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-41-generic-pae

nVIDIA Driver Version: 304.88