Tom & Vieri,

Let's not get the Java browser plugin and the Java programming language confused...

Java is an excellent programming language and in no way can be considered any less solid than C++. In fact, in many ways it is more secure and more reliable than code written in C++.

What people are uninstalling/disabling (even me) is the Java browser plugin, not the JRE/JDK. The plugin has indeed had many security issues, and with Flash and HTML5 very few people are using Java applets in their websites anymore.

So... Java plugin = bad. Java programming language = excellent.

Now that that's settled, C++ is a language that every programmer should at least be familiar with. Whatever language you choose as a primary programming language is determined by a variety of factors, but as a general rule you'll be more productive in Java than C++.

Python is also an excellent programming language, but I have too little experience with it to comment any further than that.

-Bill