On 04/29/2013 09:57 PM, Hugh Lupien wrote:
When trying to install LibreOffice 4.0.2.2 on ubuntu 12.10 using the readme directions that follow:

"sudo dpkg -i *.deb

The above DEBSdpkg command does the first part of the installation process. To complete the process, you also need to install the desktop integration packages. To do this, change directory to the "desktop-integration" directory that is within the "DEBS" directory, using the following command:

cd desktop-integration

Now run the dpkg command again:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

The installation process is now completed, and you should have icons for all the LibreOffice applications in your desktop's Applications/Office menu."

I get the following error message after successfully installing the first part according to the readme txt, and trying to install the desktop integration packages:

hugh-u@hugh-u:~/Downloads/LibreOffice_4.0.2.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS$ cd desktop-integration hugh-u@hugh-u:~/Downloads/LibreOffice_4.0.2.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb[sudo] password for hugh-u:
Selecting previously unselected package libreoffice-debian-menus.
dpkg: regarding libreoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0.2-2_all.deb containing libreoffice-debian-menus:
 libreoffice-debian-menus conflicts with libreoffice-bundled
libreoffice-core provides libreoffice-bundled and is present and installed.

dpkg: error processing libreoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0.2-2_all.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing libreoffice-debian-menus
 libreoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0.2-2_all.deb
hugh-u@hugh-u:~/Downloads/LibreOffice_4.0.2.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/desktop-integration$

Please help if you can. Thank you

Hugh Lupien
Ubuntu includes their own version of LibreOffice which includes this : libreoffice-common which contains the menu entries. When you ran sudo dpkg -i *.deb in the desktop-integration folder, you are trying to overwrite what is contained in libreoffice-common. That is when you get your error. (This has been happening to me for more than 10 years.) So, what do I do? First of all I have installed Synaptic from the Ubuntu repositories using sudo apt-get install synaptic. Then open Synaptic (Applications > System Tools > Adminstration). You will have to enter your user password to open this program. Then enter libreoffice in the Search box and click the Search button. Remove all the packages that contain libreoffice in the Installed Version column. (Right click the program and select Mark for Removal. When you have marked all of the appropriate programs, click the Apply button. At the top. A window appears labeled Summary. Double check that you have not accidentally marked a program for removal that should not be removed. Also make sure that libreoffice-common is on the removal list. When you are satisfied, click the apply button in this window. Then close Synaptic. Now you can go back to the desktop-integration folder. There run sudo dpkg -i *.deb. This time there should be no error, and you should have the LO 4.0.2.2 menu present in the Office folder. Or if you use Unity (I do not), you can search for the LO icons using the top "icon" of the Dash.

--Dan