Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2013 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Hi :)
Good work!  Nicely done!  Congrats and thanks for letting us know :)

That checking process is really just a quick squizz after the first time or so.  It's not something 
to pause and read avidly.  You kinda become aware there might be a problem even before it pops up 
or well after rather than when it's actually in front of you.  Either way it's fairly easy to deal 

Mailing lists are quite variable.  You caught us at a good time with a good topic, although i guess 
that does happen a lot so thanks for the thanks :)    
Regards from 
Tom :)  

From: sun shine <>
Sent: Wednesday, 24 April 2013, 15:41
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: *.csv formats and MS DOS CSV formats

On 24/04/13 14:26, Alex Thurgood wrote:
Le 24/04/2013 14:36, sun shine a écrit :

Looking at this :

gives a list on how to structure the file and hints on what to do if 
your CSV submission fails, e.g. if leading zeroes get dropped or if 
NULL/0 values get replaced with nothing (as is the case with 
LibreOffice). The solution to those particular problems is to enter 
the data as a text string (by putting a leading apostrophe, for example).

That same page also recommends not working on your CSV file directly, 
and in particular not to re-open it in your spreadsheet program (Excel 
cited in that particular case) !!


Hi Alex & list

I got it wrong - this was a pensions trust submission, not HMRC. My bad.

In any event - I think I may have solved this.

My test was this:

My wife sent me the file created and saved on MS as *.csv DOS. I opened 
it on GNU/Linux LibO. This opened a dialogue box and I ensured that the 
UTF-8 was the default encoding, and under the section that reads 
Separated By, all boxes were blanked except for comma, and that the text 
delimiter is ".

I edited this file, saved it under a new-name.csv and selected Edit 
Filter Settings in the Save As dialogue box, reviewed my selection and 

My wife opened this new-name.csv file in Windows Excel and it was fine 
... so I guess that the changes need to be made at the front end when 
opening the file in LibO and then double checked at the time of saving.

This sounds like this will work for the charity concerned, so hopefully 
this will be the solution that satisfies the Pensions Trust as well.

Cheers all - appreciate the promptness of your replies and the quality 
of your help.

For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.