Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2013 Archives by date, by thread · List index

On 24/04/13 14:22, Tom wrote:
Hi :)
When saving as Csv you get various options.

Probably the most crucial one is the "Field delimiter" drop-down which needs
to be set to
It should start out being the default but if you change it then the new
choice becomes the new default so you'll need to change it back.  Mostly
that is not a worry because , is the most commonly used delimited.  Tabs or
spaces are sometimes used but then it's usually called a tsv.
csv = comma separated values
tsv = tab separated values

For "Text delimiter" the usual standard choice is ".  If it's not then that
might be seen as an error.  That might also need you to tick the box "Quote
all text cells" which is not set by default so that is possibly the most
likely problem you are having.

Given that it's an English government bureaucracy it is highly likely that
they are asking for one thing but expecting something completely different.
Also it is quite possible that your local version of Excel is misbehaving.
It offers similar choices but the crucial one that goes wrong there is
"Character Set" needs to be "Unicode Utf-8", i think, at least in our
country most of the time.

Given that the file is going to HMRC i guess you can't upload a copy to
Nabble to let us have a look but is it possible to give us a small test-file
just to see if we can spot what's going wrong?

The line-ending issue might be a red herring if you are using Windows.  It
only comes into play if you are using LibreOffice on Gnu&Linux (such as
Ubuntu/Mint, openSUSE, Mageia, Fedora, Android or whatever version).  Are
you using something other than Windows?
Regards from
Tom :)

Hi Tom

My wife sent me the file in question, saved on a MS machine as a CSV DOS format file.

I opened it LibO on a GNU/Linux machine and saved as a *csv file. The only change I made was to its name, I renamed it.

I sent this file back. She opened it on a MS machine using Excel and the initial problem was repeated.

When saving it in LibO, there is no option to specify any parameters as your reply suggested (although there was when I opened it in LibO). When she opens it in Excel, there is no options about parameters, nor are there any once the file is opened.

The file (MS readable) becomes MS-unreadable once it has been opened and saved in LibO (on a GNU/Linux machine) although I think also on a MS machine running LibO, so I'm not sure about the platform, but think rather that it has to do with some parameter MS DOS CSV format imposes that LibO doesn't allow for.


For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.