On 04/10/2013 06:13 PM, David Ronis wrote:
I have a project managed by an odm file that ends up being ca 1600 pages
long and contains several OLE objects, many graphics (some comprising
entire pages that started out as PDFs).  I find LO unbelievably slow
(even on such simple things as refreshing the window after remapping
it).  I've turned of recording/displaying changes,  upped the graphics
cache numbers, set the swap directory to a ram disk, and turned off all
to-disk swapping; nothing helps.   This is on a 2 CPU machine with gig's
of ram.

I'm currently trying  to print the project to a file (postscript
format).  This takes 4-6 hours, with 1 of the CPU's running at 100% [BTW
is LO multi-threaded?].  The resulting postscript file is big, (about
350M) but not that big.

I'm on a Slackware Linux box.

Any suggestions?

David

Which version of LO are you using?  That might help with some answers.

Have you made any modification the default settings of
Tools>Options>LibreOffice>Memory ?

I know that some people have seen some good results with the increasing of the different options for the memory usage for a document. Large ones that has a lot of object/graphics/images could use more cache memoryand a larger "number of objects". Then if you are not doing much editing, the reduction of the "Undo - number of steps" could free up some needed memory and response time for the document.

The 1600 pages long and many graphics can slow down any system, when you are "converting" the file to a postscript format.

By-the-way - what are you using for the print-to-postscriptprocess? I do not see that as a "included" part of LO 4.0.2. Are you printing it to a postscript printer but are saving it to a file instead of printing out to paper? That process would give our users some idea on the process and my have some of the try some things that might find some answers.

I use Ubuntu 12.04 with 2 HP printers [inkjet and laser], 1 Epson inkjet, and 1 Canon inkjet. None defaults to a postscript, but the HP laser has a postscript driver. I may install it and do some testing myself.

OK, I installed the foomatic-postscript driver for the laser printer. It can print to a file. But would I need it to usethe "generic postscript printer driver" to make it device independent as you seem to want it to be by "printing" the file to a postscript file?