On 04/07/2013 12:03 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
On 04/07/2013 08:11 AM, JR75018 wrote:
Hi,

By now I have LinuxMint 14 Xfce Nadia 32 bit. My printer is a Canon Ip4500 and I don't remember how I managed to make it work. I am not a geek neither a nerd, just somebody who had some jobs in bank computer services long time ago. So when I don't remember how I did it, it means I ha no problem. But I
tried to print from W7 to the same printer on XP and it was impossible.
To access the CUPS interface for any Linux distro using any web browser enter: http://localhost:631/ into the browser.
I managed to print from an Xp via Samba, even it was less easy. I am very
surprised by the giant step Linux has climb from Debian Potatoes till
today. Everything is so simple : when I was in Delhi I had no problem to
use my 3G Tata photon on Ubuntu and then on Nadia. And mainly, to make
easier the compatibility between my computer and my wife'one I
use...Windows. It means I don't know Linux.

Windows is stuck when, Linux runs ?

Today I opened the same small files with calc on Nadia, it was LO 3.6, and
I has to wait 12 seconds instead of 50 seconds !

Regards

Jacques

<snip>

Thanks for the CUPS reference.

I was trying Linux Mint 14? with Cinnamon instead of the MATE desktop. I wanted to see how good it was, since for some reason Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 would not install Cinnamon desktop environment properly. I was working on my "Linux test" partition on my laptop and do not remember if I upgraded to 12.10 at that time. So I tried it by installing it along side [new partition] of a Ubuntu 10.04 desktop attached to my HDMI TV for Internet and other streaming content. It is now upgraded to Ubuntu 12.xx.

My Canon is a 6220 and it is on the network. Wired, even though I could make it wireless.
IP address is 192.168.0.104
gateway and router IP is 192.166.0.1
it would not even see the printer if I typed in the printer's IP address.

Now that setup tried worked fine if I plugged in the 16 foot USB cable and an extension 16 foot cable to reach the testing desktop under my living room TV. USB, no problem - Network, problem.

I had to use a UK Linux driver for that series since the USA does not want to support Linux on their web site, but the sites that are not part of the North American community does support Linux. The would not answer when I asked why USA does not support Linux when their other "world sites" do.

I use the following networked printers [oldest to newest models]

[CUPS-PDF is my default printer]

HP Laserjet 2300dn - duplex - laser - b&w
Epson Artisan 810 - print, scan, copy, fax, duplex - inkjet with DVD media printing [Yellow Black, Magenta, Light Magenta, Cyan, Light Cyan] Canon MG 6220 - print, scan, copy, duplex - inkjet with DVD media printing [Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Black, Photo Black, Grey] HP Officejet 7000 - wide format printing inkjet [Yellow Magenta, Cyan, Black [2 possible sizes]

The Epson and Canon had to have "special" drivers to work with the Linux systems I use - all Ubuntu 64-bit of either 12.04 or 12.10.

I run MATE since I almost hate [with a passion] Unity and I preferred the GNOME desktop of 10.04. Cinnamon was not "ready for full release" at that time so I went with MATE desktop.

I run my laptops as a dual booting system - 64-bit Windows 7 [Professional for one and Home Premium for the other] and Ubuntu 12.10 for the other partition/boot, where Ubuntu it the default boot. I need Windows for some needed software, including defragging my external drives that are used for both backups and for media sharing with my TVs through the blu-ray players. The players require FAT[FAT32] or NTFS and will not work with a Linux partition. So the drives need defragging from time to time. Also I have some other package I like to use that are Windows only and some USB hardware that the drivers/software are Windows only.