Hi :)
The Pi version is an unofficial version afaik but not a full fork.  Hmmm, it's not even that clear,
it's an official Pi program but just not officially recognised by The Document Foundation.  At
least not yet.

Hopefully both the Pi people and TDF devs are working to make it official but my guess is that they
need people to use it and confirm that it works.

Something i wouldn't normally do is quote from Wikipedia but in this case they appear to be spot on
"In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a copy of source code from
one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct piece of
software. The term often implies not merely a development branch, but a split in the developer
community, a form of schism"
further clarification at      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29

All that Pi have done is take the official source code, cleverly and painstakingly worked out which
options and settings they need to apply and then compiled the code (which is an automatic process
that takes many, many hours during which the machine needs to be left to get on with it).  Exactly
the same as our devs do for the official versions.  If our devs knew more about Pi or if the Pi
devs were also part of our community then it would have been an official build.  Presumably that's
something they all hope to achieve in the future.

So, the Pi version is kinda currently an unofficial version but not a full fork.

When you talk about installing to Usb there are a LOT of options there.  Are you familiar with
Gnu&Linux partitioning?  With Gnu&Linux it's fairly easy to get many drives working together as
though they were just one drive.

You can often make a system more robust  by moving your /home directory onto a physically separate
drive.  Then if you ever feel the need to you can wipe and reinstall your OS while still ensuring
that none of your personal data&settings gets affected.  Here is a guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
but the Pi forums might be good for advice.  They might have an easier way or better advice.

Regards from
Tom :)