Sorry about the lack of clarity.

On 3/20/2013 4:41 AM, Alex Thurgood wrote:
Le 19/03/2013 17:15, Paul D. Mirowsky a écrit :

Hi Paul,

I recently tried to use 2 Base queries within a single Writer document.

What exactly do you mean here ?
- a first query from a first datasource/table in one part of the
document that returns a first set of data values (e.g. refs, title)
- a second query from another datasource/table that returns a second set
of data values (e.g. prices, articles, etc) ??
Yes, this is correct.
Same Base Tables -> Base Query 1 -> Writer Merged 1 -> Print Document with Data 1 Same Base Tables -> Base Query 2 -> Writer Merged 2 -> Print Document with Data 2

As separate documents, Data prints correctly.
When documents are made into a single document, 'Print Document with Data 1 and Data 2'.
Writer Merged 2 fields are not printed.
See "Section" test below.

Or something completely different ?

As usual when printing, it asked "Your document contains address
database fields. Do you want to print a form letter?".
I responded "Yes".

No data showed up in the table that is usually presented at this time.
I assume that because there were more than one query being accessed, it
had locked up and did not allow any action to occur.

There was a bug with 3.x mailmerge (aka form letter printing) that
prevented use of a query to provide the data, it worked in theory, but
in practice the query was never retrieved as a reference by the wizard
and so no data appeared in the document - the user had to reselect the
datasource each time the form letter print wizard started. This bug has
since been resolved in the 4.x series, as you subsequently discovered (I
haven't tested it though).

I had hoped that the behavior would be to disregard trying to fill the
table and allow me to continue printing.

If you ignore the initial question (i.e. by responding "No"), you should
just be able to print your letter, but of course, it will only contain
the data actually in it at that time.
It prints data field descriptors.

I don't know for certain whether you can independently reference two
datasources (queries, tables, etc) in a single Writer document. I have
seen mention in the past of trying to use Sections to achieve this, but
my initial (and perhaps very basic) attempts at doing so were not
successful.
I inserted a "Section" in 'Print Document with Data 1 and Data 2' between 'Writer Merged 1 and Writer Merged 2'.
I used the default settings.  No special use of variables.
Data from Base Query 1 prints correctly.
Data from Base Query 2 prints blank.

Alex

I would suppose that next logical step is to suggest that like <Insert><Base-Query><Next-Record>, is to add <Insert><Base-Query><Next-Query>.

This maybe possible with "Section" "Conditions and Variables" but I wouldn't know where to start.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Paul