On 02/28/2013 12:25 PM, Ian Whitfield wrote:

On the other problem - When I re-installed httpd, which I understand I
need, I get the error ...
"Warning: network-up is needed by httpd in runlevel 4"

Any idea what this means and how I get round this??

It means that the apache server is expecting the network interface(s) to
be already up and running (with a correct local or IP address) when the
httpd service starts. Apparently, that isn't the case with your latest
PCLinuxOS version, or else it may come from a race condition caused by
the parallelised boot process of init.d scripts. In other words, you
will have to find a way to ensure that either the httpd daemon is
started after your network interface(s) is/are brought up, or else make
sure that your network interface(s) are running very early on in the
boot process. This is a problem with PCLinuxOS and has absolutely
nothing to do with LibreOffice, or Java, or MySQL.

Potentially, your network interface(s) are not being brought up in time
during boot because the networking script is set to obtain a DHCP
address and this action is not completed when the httpd daemon is
started (for whatever reason, that might be, e.g. DNS or hostname
resolution problems, dhcpclient bugs, timeouts with the DHCP server,
wrong or conflicting static IP address attribution, etc - on other
words, a whole host of potential problems totally unrelated to LO, mysql
or java). I have a similar problem on one of my Linux Mint machines
(fortunately not running an apache server, but a PITA nonetheless),
which is linked to the network card not being initialised (internal
memory buffers being systematically cleared or some such other
trickery), on boot. I am often forced to reinitialise the network
interfaces by hand in order to obtain an address from my dhcp server (my
ADSL router), as it turns out.

Before even attempting to fiddle with any of that, go and ask on the
PCLinuxOS forums whether this is a known problem.

Alex