Hi :)
I'm just wondering if Gnumeric might be better at opening the file?

Calc 'should' be able to handle it easily so there is something weird there.  The file-size drop
sounds like the old bug about images dropping out but we haven't seen that happen for around a year
afaik.  Is it definitely an Xls and not an XlsX?  XlsX and Odt can be opened as though they were
Zip files which allows you to poke around inside a lot more.  On the other hand Xls is usually a
lot more stable than XlsX.  15Mb is pretty large for a normal file unless it does have images
embedded inside.

Could you just open LibreOffice itself, without opening the Xls, and go to

Tools - Options - Memory

and bump up those figures a LOT.  Particularly the "Memory per object" to maybe around 15Mb, or
something huge like that.  I'm assuming your Ram is over 1Gb and could handle it quite easily.
Perhaps drop the number of undo steps it remembers to maybe 50.  Mine seems excessive at 100.

I don't know why the file-size keeps changing.  It's something that would worry me so i would save
as an Odt to make sure i got a stable copy and then possibly start exploring the Xls to see why
it's so unstable.  Csv holds no formatting information so it's bound to be a lot smaller than an
Xls or Odt.  It also strips out any images and macros and stuff.

Regards from
Tom :)