On 02/21/2013 10:59 AM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
On 02/21/2013 04:01 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 2013-02-20 21:33, webmaster-Kracked_P_P a écrit :
On 02/20/2013 05:11 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 14:36 20/02/2013 -0500, Tim Lungstrom wrote:
Europe A4 size

Perhaps that should be
"everywhere-in-the-world-except-the-United-States-and-Canada A4 size".

Brian Barker

I do not know about the rest of the world.
I knew that Europe tend to use A4.

Why USA and Canada uses "letter size" when the rest use A4, who knows.

Here is a short history on it:

http://www.serif.com/blog/a-quick-history-on-a4-and-letter-paper-sizes/

Canada follows the US for obvious reasons. IMO, I would rather follow with the A4 and metric sizes, we should all be following the metric sizing.

Cheers,

Marc

The USA had a movement towards Metric, but it failed big-time. We are using more metric in manufacturing, but for use in the home or business, people grew up learning the "English" system of feet/inches, pounds/ounces, cup/gallon, instead of all of the base-ten metric measurements.

Yes, if we taught our kids from the early ages to use metric along with what we use now, maybe we can get them to be more use to the metric system so we can move to it someday as an equal to our current system. Of course, business use letter size paper, letter size storage, letter size presentation devices to hold their letter size paper, and the list goes on and on. All those things that are based on the letter size paper and cannot fit the A4 size paper will have to be replaced so they can fit both sizes - as a standard size - before business will be thinking about using A4 regularly.
The thing that matters most in the USA is economics. When it becomes more economical to use the metric system, we will change very rapidly. In the past, we produced soft drinks in the quart size. When the demand for packaging them in liters for sale overseas, two different measuring systems increased their costs. So, large soft drink containers were produced exclusively in liters sizes to save money. I suppose the equivalent for printers is this: when it becomes cheaper to make a printer which will print A4 (and thus letter size with a small added border) and the demand is high enough, printers will rather quickly change to using A4 as the standard size.
     All of this is my personal opinion, of course.

--Dan