Hi Wes,

Dependence on Java for certain things is a long standing issue. The devs are working to reduce and eventually eliminate this dependency, but it takes time.

One suggestion would be for you to get him set up with a free LogMeIn account (www.logmein.com), then you could provide remote assistance for him (for this and any other potential issues down the road)... this way you could install things for him as if you were sitting in front of his computer. I've been using the free version of LogMeIn to provide support for family/friends for many years...

Sorry, but thats the best you can do for now...

Libreoffice can not legally 'integrate' java due to licensing issues (nor can any other software, commercial or free).