On 12/01/2013 at 11:44, IGraham <graham@lovatt.co.uk> wrote:

*Secondary question *
Does Libraoffice normally struggle with large documents (crashers), if so
any good practices to avoid the resulting aggravation

In my experience: no, it does not. The longest document I have is LO Writer
3.4 guide. It's about 400 pages long and ≈125 000 words (so it's a bit longer
than yours). It opens without problems.
I used to have OpenDocument v1.2 specification in ODT format. It is about twice
as long as Writer Guide. It took forever to load (probably due to excessive
usage of fields), but it did not crash LO.

What version of LO are you using?
Could it be that your operating system is running out of memory? How much RAM
does your computer have? Are you running any other applications while reading
this document? Especially web browsers are memory-hungry these times.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski