I have old openoffice calc files  (.sxc) with password protection.
Libreoffice 3.5.1 managed to save those in old format and possible with
aes256 encryption (as stated in manifest file). I have tried different
technics to solve the problem:
* googled around. Have not found a case where corrupted files have been
restored,
*used different libreoffice and openoffice versions to try to open the file,
*tried to decrypt by hand (my skills and time ware out in generating
password with PBKDF2 algorithm),
*tried to modify manifest file to make it look like a 1.2 ODF version,
*tried to replace content.xml in 1.2 ODF file (+ changing content.xml info
in manifest file),
*I tried with encryption tool named rltodfjlib.jar,
*searched for backups. I modified the file 4 months ago during few days,
saved once and did not try to open. My frequent backups are stored only for
2 months and older backups are too old,
*possible done other things whics I have forgotten as I am pretty
frustrated.
The information in this file is not recoverable by other means, as original
documentation on paper is destroyed by burning.

And now I think I have only one question: is it possible at all to open such
file with reasonable amount of time and resources?.

At least I learned one good thing: verify that you can open saved file
before you close it if the file is important.

I guess the best explanation of my problem is in manifest file:
<!DOCTYPE manifest:manifest PUBLIC &quot;-//OpenOffice.org//DTD Manifest
1.0//EN&quot; &quot;Manifest.dtd&quot;>
<manifest:manifest xmlns:manifest="http://openoffice.org/2001/manifest";>
 <manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="/"
manifest:media-type="application/vnd.sun.xml.calc"/>
 <manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="settings.xml"
manifest:media-type="text/xml" manifest:size="12002">
  <manifest:encryption-data
manifest:checksum-type="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:manifest:1.0#sha256-1k"
manifest:checksum="cSs3LPT3wUPokIbLrEGnZ+iMZmkygRan4fAoBs7RDJ4=">
   <manifest:algorithm
manifest:algorithm-name="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#aes256-cbc";
manifest:initialisation-vector="lqFd27slt5cSIhVYsFvzew=="/>
   <manifest:key-derivation manifest:key-derivation-name="PBKDF2"
manifest:iteration-count="1024" manifest:salt="NxtizE5HXljarju4wXvTrg=="/>
  </manifest:encryption-data>
 </manifest:file-entry>

Thank you for reading my problem!