At 21:57 20/12/2012 +0100, Gordom Noname wrote:
Let say I have a list of my customers. Each raw consist of his/her name and the postal address (separate columns). The address is a mixture of letters and numbers. Now I would like to sort this list according to customers [location].

As the result I get something like this (1):

TheSameStreetName 12/1
TheSameStreetName 15/1
TheSameStreetName 19A m21
TheSameStreetName 25A/2
TheSameStreetName 7/3

Do I make something wrong? Why the list is sorted in that way (odd to me :-)?

The cell contents are text, so they are sorted alphabetically, character by character. 1 comes before 2, which comes before 7, so the three numbers starting with "1" come first. These are then sorted by the next character: 2 comes before 5, which comes before 9.

But I would rather expect to get this kind of list (2):

TheSameStreetName 7/3
TheSameStreetName 12/1
TheSameStreetName 15/1
TheSameStreetName 19A m21
TheSameStreetName 25A/2

Is it possible to get the result according to list number 2?

Probably. But you have to sort numerically, so you will either have to separate the numbers from the street names (into separate cells: you can then sort by those cells after sorting by street name) or else keep the cells as they are but extract the number part into a separate cell (which you can hide if you prefer) and then sort by those cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker