here is my "simple" way to help with the typing errors I sometime get. My fingers seem to love to press the wrong letters.

copy the compressed download file to you home folder, using you file manager/browser. Nautilus, Dolphin, or whatever you default "file browser" is.

This is the file I use for 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04. "LibO_3.6.4_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz"

Next you right-click on it in you file manager to uncompress it. Use the default "Archive Manager", or Ark, or whatever is your default archiver manager/un-compressor.

That will create the folder with the long name, At this point I do something a little different to ease my typing skills. I right-click on the folder and rename it to "LibO" to ease my typing its long name in the Terminal. That way you do not have such a long set of characters to type in for the folder's name in the Terminal.

In Terminal or "Konsole", etc.,  I type:

cd LibO
cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then do the same steps for the help and language packs, as needed, except for the "cd desktop-integration" part.

You do not need to rename the folders, but I do that to stop errors in my typing of the "long" name of the folder. I know there are some other ways of doing this, but for me it is the simplest way for installing LO on Ubuntu.

The only hard part is removing LO 3.5.7 before I install LO 3.6.4. I keep forgetting the Terminal commands and need to use the Synaptic Package Manager to find and remove the LO packages.

Of course, I then make sure I reinstall all of the extensions I want, just to make sure they are there for me.