At 10:55 05/12/2012 -0800, Joel Madero wrote:
I want to know if there's a way to make a chart range be an entire column so that if I add data I don't have to manually alter the range. For instance, every month I do expenses and the new row would be "MM/YYYY" then there's expenses and income listed, every time I add a new entry I have to manually update the data range which is a hassle. If I select the entire column as a data range it automatically adjusts to the last row with data. Furthermore, if I just do a range that has like 10,000 extra rows (Maybe A1:A10000) the chart is squished (it doesn't auto adjust according to logic of where last cell contains data and then update when new data is entered).

There is a slightly messy workaround that may make your life simpler. Depending on the chart type you have chosen, it may be possible to add an extra row of data that will not affect the appearance of your chart. In some cases you may simply be able to repeat one row of data - possibly the first - at the end of your columns of data without affecting what you see in the chart. There will be two coincident points (or whatever) in your chart, but that may not be visible and thus not spoil the effect. You might even change the font colour or background colour of the dummy row of cells, or mark it some other way to remind yourself or your readers that it is not extra genuine data.

Now for the trick! When you need to add a new row for your new month, don't simply add it at the end. Instead, select just the cells in your final, dummy row and then go to Insert | Cells... (or right-click | Insert...). In the Insert Cells dialogue, choose "Shift cells down" and click OK. Now enter your new data in its correct place in the list - in the new empty cells you have revealed.

What is the point of all this? Well, when you insert cells in this way into data ranges already defined in your chart, the ranges are automatically updated to include the inserted cells. The data being charted now extends from your first data row to your last, dummy data row, including your new data.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker