I have OSX 10.6.8 and LO 3.5.4.2 and have not had these problems.
Did you want to try removing your LO and installing another version.
Steve

On 2012-12-06 10:18, Oogie McGuire wrote:
I have tried with both the default set by restoring to defaults which has Times as the main font in
writer and Arial for Calc and also setting my default fonts to something else. I've modified
preferences and also restored them to defaults

Doesn't matter what I do I still have the problem where periodically documents that were perfectly
fine the last time I opened them, will suddenly have invisible fonts. When it happens the drop down
menu of fonts has a blank line where that font name should be.

No rhyme or reason for why or when the problem crops up.

Nothing I've tried fixes the help file problem. It's always totally blank no matter what I do.
Makes it impossible to get any help if I can't read it.