On 11/21/2012 08:52 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
On 11/21/2012 06:07 AM, Barry Say wrote:
Hi all,

Is it the case that a document **must* *end with a paragraph mark. I am editing a publication which is a master document and I would like to specify that for a given sub-document I wish to have nothing below it on the page but when I insert a page break I am given another page with a blank paragraph which I do not want. I am aware of the possibility of specifying that a document must start a fresh page, but I have tried that in the past and introduced a non-deletable feature in the master document.

Any thoughts?

Barry
Yes, all documents **must** end with a paragraph mark. Writer documents are written using XML. The "markers" used to format the text are used in pairs. If there is a beginning of a paragraph, there must be an ending of it. The paragraph markers only visually show you where the paragraphs begin and end. I just created a master document from 4 chapters that I have. (Total pages: 212) In the master document, nothing is below the end of a given chapter; the next chapter begins with on a new page. And if the subdocument ended as an odd page in the master document, a blank page was added so that the new chapter begins as an odd page. How did you create the master document? If we had your steps, someone might be able to discover what has to be done differently.

--Dan

If this is not out of line, how about we get people to share their "favorite" master documenttemplates with the rest of us. The trick of adding sub documents and automatically having the next chapters start on an odd page is nice to know how to do.

There are a lot of people out there that have created master documents that could be used as templatedocuments by others so that they do not have to figure out all the needed information on their own.

Actually, I never did figure out how to make a master document that used sub-documents [chapters/sections] using LO. I tried back in first year of using LO and then gave up. It seemed easier to edit individual chapters/sections of a large document than edit a 50plus page one.

ALSO, as for ending a document, I always have one or two blank lines after my last paragraph of text. That is what I was taught in college [and work] in thelate 80's and early 90's, so I never got out of the habit of doing it.