---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] How to edit MS doc(x) files without
breaking it for MS?
To: webmaster-Kracked_P_P <webmaster@krackedpress.com>

I have used O-O to edit dozens of documents created with MS-Word, and
returned the output to people who used Word to read them. I also
edited many Latex files, receiving them as plain text (though often
with Chinese comments) and sending them back as .doc files because I
wanted changes shown. These were computer science journal or
conference papers, 5-20K words with plenty of math, tables, graphs,
diagrams ... and often complex multi-column formatting. I always had
whatever was current in Ubuntu, from mid-2010 to late 2012. They had
various versions of Word, mostly Chinese but the docs I dealt with
were in English. Mostly, it worked, but there were exceptions.

O-O or L-O fairly often had trouble with .docx files, anything from
just messing up the format to two that crashed O-O whenever it tried
to open them. Usually just going to a Windows box and saving it as
.doc was enough that then I could edit it on the Linux box with O-O,
but not always. Some of the multi-column formats, even in .doc files,
were messed up on O-O. Many of my comments, created on O-O, sent to a
student using Chinese Windows then back to me for a second editing
pass, were messed up when I got them back, lots of illegible
characters shown as odd symbols.