On 11/17/2012 11:24 AM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
I still think that a "cheat sheet" guide needs to be much more than just a list of keyboard shortcuts. Having graphics showing the different menu options and where the different "functions" needed by the users are - is a good and needed part of such a guide/sheet.

I rarely use keyboard shortcuts [except copy/paste] since I stopped using a DOS-based word processor. For many users, knowing such shortcuts can be very useful, but for those like me the are not used much or rarely.

I think this highlights the challenge in trying to provide a comparison chart of two systems like LibO and MS Office. Not only do they do things differently, they "think" differently.

Consider the simple tasks of numbering each page at the bottom of the page. Believe it or not, I had lawyers working for me who could never figure out how to do it.

In LibO, one sets up a footer and then inserts the "Page Number" field into the footer. By doing it this way, the LibO user learns to understand the concepts of footers and fields. She can then insert any field into the footer. Not exactly rocket science.

MS-Word, however, tries to insulate the user from having to learn about footers and fields. Instead it creates a shortcut by including an "Insert/Page Number" command that completely bypasses the need to create a footer or use a field. The user never understands footers and fields because MS doesn't want its users to think. Of course, the more skilled user can learn about footers and fields, but MS assumes that most users don't want to.

I don't know how one translates the different program approaches by simply providing a list of comparable commands.

Virgil