I think it is a bug in Ubuntu, or possibly cups, but it sounds very related to an issue I'm having with Ubuntu 12.10. I'm a Realtor, and we have paid access to the court house records to get deeds, assessment information, etc. To print a deed that has been selected, I can view it in Chrome or Firefox like I always did. The individual deed pages are stored as tiff images on their server. If I wanted a copy of it, I would just print it as a pdf. I would use cups-pdf. Cups would show it fetching each image, but in the final document, all of the pages are blank in Ubuntu 12.10. I tried it on a machine with Ubuntu 12.04, and everything printed fine. On 12.10 I then tried printing a hard copy with the regular printer instead of a pdf . Once again it showed it was fetching each page, but the printer printed out blank pages. So this is an issue with Ubuntu 12.10 in some manner. I filed a bug report with Ubuntu here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1066932

Nothing has happened since then. There have been no additions to my bug report. Maybe it would be helpful if you added your problem there.

Don