I think LO is easier to use than MSO2003. That was before the "Ribbon" UI was created. What I hated about MSO-2003-Word, was how long it took to be to the point where I could do anything. Then there were all these side-bar options that I could not get to stop showing up and slowing down my use of Word. LO, even at its slowest opening versions was faster to get to the point of typing/editing my document.

Yes, the UI is different than MSO and we need to see about some graphic/chart showing new users where the options are in the menu-bar. I know some packages show that type of thing in a printed sheet for new users. I had one for MSO.

A company called BarCharts, Inc. does a very good job creating quick study guides. I have some of their Math and Science laminated "QUICK STUDY Academic" sheets. I find that they were great for helping me with the formulas needs when I was substituting as a Math teacher. I have not bought any since the late 90's, but the company seems to have 5 or 10 times the number of titles since I bought the sheets from them.

Word 2010 sheet - http://www.barcharts.com/Inventory/Navision/9781423214526

This company has MSO guides, but no LibreOffice ones. It would be interesting if we could get such a quick reference guide sheet created for LibreOffice. The basics should not change over the various versions. The basic UI and menu option placements should not change [much] between lines either.