For most impositions I use a very simple "freeware" utility called
"Gimpose" (http://www.noliturbare.com/) which is written for Windows but
runs  perfectly under Wine. It does the most common kinds of
impositions, including saddle-stitch booklets, two pages per sheet,
duplicate pages side by side, and cut stacks.

When I need to do more complicated impositions, I have to fire up
Windows XP in a Virtual Box and run Acrobat Pro with the "Quite
Imposing" plugin (which are both rather pricey).

David Burleigh
828-398-1406