It is interesting how insecure password protection is, and how we forgo security for convenience, I recently had to gain access to a Win7 machine with lost administrator PW. It was trivial but led me and a work colleague to rainbow tables, GPU cracking and just how fast a PW can be cracked. Our discussions got to slowing things down, double encrypt with different methods (encrypt content with RSA using a hash from a long random password) or not allow automated PW entry (capcha with PW entry). Either way it becomes inconvenient and therefore will probably not be used.

Steve