That's pretty comprehensive, thanks! I will work through those.

Regards

john

On 18 October 2012 08:22, Alex Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/18/2012 08:02 AM, John Clegg wrote:

Hi John,

I am accessing the remote MySQL database using com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.
When I access the data by opening the table or using the form it is
read-only. Any ideas again?

Several possible reasons :

- no primary key field defined in your table, but I guess you would have
noticed that before, with your previous attempts to edit the data from
within LO Base ;

- a field in your table that LO can not parse - unfortunately, some data
types, whilst in theory recognised by the driver in other circumstances,
i.e. with other software, are not recognised by LO's data type parser,
for the lack of them being defined in the handling code. One such
example are certain binary objects. At present CLOB support is limited
to images in LO ;

- a corrupt or misconfigured ODB file : it may be that changing your
table source has confused LO's database registration code and caused it
mark the table as read only, or alternatively, if it points to a
separated database, then the ODB configuration needs to be reset to
correspond to the new database in addition to the new table (this is
just speculation on my part) ;

- a bug in the version of LO you are using.

Alex

deleted