if you drop Basic as a makro language in writer, you will drop me as a makro
user, and maybe even as a LO user.

It gives me the freedom to automatize much of my daily tasks without learning
another high level language.

And when I want to use GNU/Linux system functions I use extensiveley the shell
comand, i.e. dir() is quite slow, but calling a shell script with an
elaborate find command does the task very quick.
or: use sed to run through the odt's looking up the print date or ...

Maybe it might helt with /dev/.. too.

Walther

Although sometimes