I noticed that AbiWord was the default ODF file reader when I right-click on a document created with LO. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit from 10.04.

When I use the package manager to remove AbiWord, it removed things like the desktop menu listing for LO in Office and some other LO packages. When I did a reinstall, the desktop menu creation failed due to a LO-core issue. So I needed to remove all of the LO package files and do a "fresh install".

Why AbiWord removal removes LO packages, I do not know.

Why did re-installing LO over the working 3.5.6 to replace the "removed" or "broken" packages, cause the desktop menu error, I do not know.

Why it took a removal of LO from the system and a "fresh" install to get it working again, I do not know.

But for anyone using Ubuntu 12.04, be sure to remove AdiWord before you install LO on your system. 12.10 comes out in about a week, so this might be an issue there as well, if 12.10 installs AdiWord when you want LO's newest.

By-the-way Ubuntu 12.04.1 installs LO 3.5.4 by default, so removing that version to use 3.5.6, "forces" Ubuntu to install AbiWord during the removal of 3.5.4, so you will have some wordprocessor.