Thanks for the comments.

As for Windows' folder organization ("Also the folder structure is radically
different on Windows.") , I can only say "NOT ON MY MACHINE!"

This whole puerile concept of "My this" and "My that" is, in my humble
opinion, rather bone-headed and makes a number of unwarranted assumptions
about the many varied uses of a computer. This is precisely why I have
several Windows partitions that I have carried over to Ubuntu.

For example,  if you have "projects" or "hobbies" that you wish to keep
organized such as (to name a few of mine) Genealogy, Development, and
Photography, does it make sense to have subdirectories/folders for each of
these projects under My Documents, My Pictures and so forth, or to have (in
my case) entire partitions devoted to each project (which, by the way makes
for much easier backups, since I tend to work on one subject for a time to
the exclusion of the others)?

In my case, under Genealogy, I have subfolders for record images that I've
scanned or otherwise obtained ("My Pictures" just seems like a lame,
inaccurate, and vague description although that's where the file extension
suggests to Windows it should be dumped), documents I've written,
photographs I've taken in cemeteries and other places of interest around the
world (would this be "My Pictures-2" in Windows parlance?). There are many,
many subfolders under this one subject, and I sure don't want to intermingle
these files with my financial records, PL/SQL code, Music files, etc. etc.

So, I very early on attempted to ignore Windows' mandated structure (even
"My Downloads," which I keep segregated so that I don't need to sift through
various utility installation programs to locate German census sheets from
the mid-nineteenth century and so forth).

I think it's nice that they attempt to help the user get "organized," but I
find that they're just simply not that good at that themselves, so I'd
rather not have their help.

"My Music" is another lame and vague category. I have, as I guess most folks
do, a collection of "music" that I listen to on the computer (e.g. mp3's and
such), but I also have a collection of music scores (some of my own -
MuseScore is a terrific program by the way - and many by my pals J.S.Bach
and Charles-Valentin Alkan that I have obtained in order to attempt some
greater understanding of their particular genius). "Music" is, of course, a
nice generic description of each of these two groups of files, but doesn't
at all help distinguish them, and I certainly don't wish to intermingle
them.

I now realize this has degenerated into a discussion that's way off topic,
and more appropriate for some other forum (and for that I apologize), but -
this whole wish to get things organized in a way that makes sense to me and
is convenient from a file management standpoint is what started this whole
discussion.

I'm only sorry that Ubuntu seems to have been a little infected by this
Windows approach, although they are much nicer about it (Windows howls like
crazy each time I attempt to thwart its control over what even Microsoft
calls ("MY" documents).

Again, apologies for the rant, and have a great day.