I apologize again. This is my original question:

I normally use tables to arrange figures within a page (i.e., a 2col x
1 row for 2 figures) The problem is that normally figures get reshaped
(and distorted) to fit the cell, while what I would like is to get the
cell shape to fit the figure. How can I do it?
Also, is there a better way to arrange figures in a page?
I've tried using columns, but I have the same problem: figures get
reshaped and do not keep their width x height ratio.

Thanks